All workers, whether out on an orchard, farm or block and inside in a coolstore or packing shed, are ultimately responsible for protecting their own health and safety at work.
To minimise risks to personal health and safety, here are some things to consider and take on board:
- Make sure your employer has provided you with the necessary induction, training and instructions so you feel safe doing the work being asked of you;
- Follow all reasonable (safe and legal) directions given by your Supervisor;
- Read and comply with all policies and procedures carefully, particularly where they may impact on your health and safety;
- Keep your work area free of hazards and if you notice a hazard, report it immediately;
- Do not undertake work if you are not confident that you can do the task safely – ask your Supervisor for guidance and training;
- Stop work if you become aware of an unsafe situation and immediately report it to your Supervisor;
- Do not take drugs or consume alcohol before or while at work;
- Wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE);
- Operate plant and machinery in line with correct policies, procedures and training;
- Actively support and participate in any work health and safety consultation processes, and
- Assist incident investigators or workplace inspectors.
Do not place others at risk
It is also your responsibility to not place others at risk:
- Take reasonable care that your actions or lack of action does not adversely affect others;
- Do not interfere with, change or remove any safeguard, safety device or personal protection equipment (PPE) – except when part of an approved maintenance, repair or emergency procedure, and
- Report all hazards or incidents to your Supervisor as soon as possible.
Treat others with respect
Discriminating or bullying behaviour is not acceptable and is against the law. Report this behaviour if you see it in others to your Supervisor ASAP.
Reporting safety concerns
Speak to your Supervisor or Health & Safety Representative if you have concerns about the safety at work.